Friday, May 11, 2012

Poor mitochondrial function and ancestral legacy of trauma

Given that Acetyl-L-carnitine seems to help with PTSD and trauma, I wonder if people with poor mitochondrial function are more susceptible to trauma.

(L-carnitine improves mitochondrial function.)

That would seem to correlate with what I observe: These entire family lineages of people with low energy, poor mental health, accumulated trauma, as well as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, autoimmune disease and other problems correlated with Type II Hypothyroidism (low mitochondrial function).

And these people tend to marry, because they have similarly low energy, low self-esteem, low mental health, etc.

It also could help to explain the seeming epidemic of trauma these days. While we have stopped the epidemics of infections with antibiotics (and people no longer die regularly from TB, etc.), we now have a lot of people surviving to reproductive age with poor mitochondria of the type that usually would have made them susceptible to death from infection, and these people are prone to having (and giving) trauma.

Parents' own mental illness and trauma seems to be one of the surest "infecting" sources of trauma for children. I feel like I picked it up almost directly in pristine form from my dad, like I have "exactly what he has," even though I don't know what he is traumatized about.

In an unsanitary world, I probably would have died from childhood infection. But instead I'm an adult with trauma symptoms ... that go down when I take ALCAR. Hm...

- - -


No comments:

Post a Comment