Friday, May 11, 2012

Being body-directed while relating

I just scrolled through my blog so far and realized that every post seems to advocate a different approach:

-get to where you feel safe to feel (ok if you don't feel every last buried thing)
-say yes to feeling everything
-having a random improvement from reading something
-and finally, trying a trick to reduce the bad feelings

I guess what I get from this is that the trauma process has no definite prescription and it's not the same thing every day.

The body asks for what it wants when it needs it.

- - -
Maybe that's why I've been having a hard time in my relationship while going through this. I've been so body-directed during most of this, where my body tells me "feel this," "do this," "do this other strange thing," and it all moves me forward, but it's very self-centered and about listening to the very sensitive needs of my body. But then my traditional mode of being with people has been to think the whole time I am around them, "What do they need? How can I keep from offending or losing them?" which is totally antithetical to this new way I am learning to be for trauma processes.

Maybe I will get to where I can have good give-and-take with others while still being directed by my body. In fact it probably will improve the quality of my interactions with others, since I'll be more in-tune. I do notice myself being more in-tune already and picking up on others' body language more and tuning into how they are feeling, not because I am in caretaker mode but because I'm feeling my body and I feel my reaction to their body too. (mirror neurons?)

I guess that's the way to go, building the capacity to relate while staying in the body. I might have to take it slow and start with pretty easy tasks, since I simply don't have any practice doing this. I'm back at less than a few years old - level of experience in this.

- - -

No comments:

Post a Comment