Thursday, June 21, 2012

Interaction of thresholds and triggers

I guess I am just extremely frustrated that people keep blaming me for a symptom that I don't have a lot of control over.

It's easy to point fingers and say "well you were violent" if you have never experienced Lyme rage yourself, but in theory it could happen to anyone.

And forgive me for getting it down to low enough levels where it only happens if I am experiencing severe neurotoxicity, retching, and having involuntary muscle contractions. When it used to happen regularly, it was obvious that it was something unusual. Now that I've increased my threshold through Lyme treatment and healing myself, it only happens on rare occasions when something bad happened to my nervous system AND I was severely triggered, so it can come across as some deep emotional problem, and there's all this shame, because it's rare enough that it seems plausibly to be just emotional, and the "excessively low threshold due to biological states" issue can be ignored much more than before.

Any time when I experience these neurotoxic states again, I forgive myself for the previous times when I've had Lyme rage, because I remember how these brain states make it so likely. They don't make it happen, but they really lower the threshold for how much emotional irritation is needed to provoke a sudden reflexive self-defensive movement.

The best way to understand it is that at times, the level of neurotoxicity makes the threshold so low that normal life events are likely to exceed the threshold. What do I do in that case? Stop going through life?

If my threshold is low, I certainly should avoid being around my boyfriend, going to the ER, doing anything that is likely to trigger me.

It's a matter of the interaction of life events and the nervous system threshold. Sometimes the threshold has been so low that I've screamed in public over minor things like someone singing to themselves.
Lately, my threshold is so high that nothing happens unless 1) something terrible has happened to my nervous system, and 2) I am triggered at the core with something I abhor, like being called crazy or being left suddenly/abandonment triggers.

So there are two ways to work on it:

A) Increasing the threshold, through nutrition and brainwave entrainment and helping the nervous system.

B) Decreasing the triggers, so that the triggers do not exceed the threshold.

- - -

No comments:

Post a Comment